Saturday, December 13, 2008

PB26 The End of the Year

This has been, far and away, my best year of teaching. This is not surprising as every year I have taught school has been better than the year before. Sort of like being married to my loving wife of some 25 years. I have informed the board, however, that I will not be teaching forever. I am going to retire at the end of the 2028-2029 school year. So the class of 2029, which of course has not been born yet, will be my last. I am not going to change my mind and I am going to be difficult to replace so the board may want to start looking around now. Don’t say you haven’t been warned.

Although this was a great year, it has ended on a very sour note. I will start next year without three of my esteemed colleagues, individuals I have come to rely upon and to whom I owe a great deal. Fortunately they are all moving on to great situations but that doesn’t help me does it? First, Sonja Miller, an extraordinary English teacher. Although we have a very strong English department, Sonja brought a certain je ne sais quoi that made it even better. (Language teachers note my inclusion of a little French lingo.) Plus Sonja likes my column. That makes three fans. Then Abbey Walls, a guidance person. NO ONE cares more about kids. We had some stressful times this year and she was always right where she could do the most good. I am old. She is wise. I shall miss her. At the district office, Eydie Schilling, is also moving on. Every time I got a great idea, and that happened to me a lot, Eydie was supportive, encouraging, and positive. She knows how to do all the paper work and stuff and was more than willing to pitch in and help. (Now I have spent my life around civil servants, and I love them to death, especially MLWOS25yrs, but “more than willing to pitch in and help” doesn’t often come up in the conversation.) I’ll miss her, too.

The biggest blow was finding out Chuck Dilbone had resigned as principal. I have had lots of bosses. I was stationed at 10 major commands in the military and given the rotation system, had an average of two skippers at each for a total of 20. All were professional. Some were legends. They all had executive officers, another 20. The military is all about leadership; we teach it, practice it and live it. (When the military adopted Total Quality Management from the business world, it was changed it to “Total Quality Leadership”.) Still, leadership is easier in the military than it is in the front office at Granville High. A military leader answers only to his boss in the chain of command. None of those military guys were better than Mr. Dilbone because a principal must answer to the board, the parents, the teachers and, in many ways, the kids. Chuck Dilbone does it as well as it can be done. The only criticisms I heard about Chuck were from teachers who said he favored parents and parents who said he favored teachers. They were both right but when it really matters, he always comes down on the side of the kids. I came to work at GHS when I was 54.9 years old. (Math teachers note the metric system.) I really didn’t think anyone could teach me much about leadership (or anything else). I was wrong. Chuck was always there when I needed him and not when I didn’t, the definition of a perfect leader. He taught me a lot. I am a much better teacher and a better person for it. (I don’t think Chuck likes my column, but I’m happy if he likes my teaching.)

Even though we will take some hits, we have a great school and we will muddle through next year. Given Granville Schools reputation for excellence, there will be many capable candidates to choose from to replace our departed comrades. But you new hires better be on your game. You are following the best of the best. You know I’m right.

No comments:

Post a Comment